What is Colonhydrotherapy?
Colonhydrotherapy is one of the oldest forms of natural healing. The Egyptians were among the first to employ it.
There is a mucus membrane that lines the last 6 feet of the intestinal tract of the large colon. This can become toxic, becasue of bad digestion. Disease begins in the colon, and to be in optimum health, the colon must be functioning normally.
The toxic and impacted colon must be soaked and saturated thoroughly in water for gradual and comfortable removal of the waste. Colonhydrotherapy, combined with a deep tissue-cleansing programme is effective in removing the body of toxins and restoring health and vitality.
It can take months or years for the problem to be corrected that took years to develop. You can only develop proper elimination, if you also rebuild damaged tissues with a balanced wholefood diet.
Health Benefits from Colonhydroterapy Treatment
- A feeling of well-being: Removes mucus, non-digested food, flatuelence, germs, biological ageing.
- A feeling of lightness: Removal of pressure of the intestines on the organs around it.
- Stimulation of intestinal peritoneum, and the decrease of constipation.
- Abdominal muscular relaxation, as a result of lukewarm water and the massage during hydrotherapy.
- Easing inflammatory conditions and oedema easing due to removal of the irritating substances.
- Expulsion of parasites, elimination, by means of the alternate use of hot and cold water.
- Weight reduction and slimming, due to the activation of the waste elimination process and the removal of toxins.
- Increased abdominal tonicity.
- Easing of gynaecological disorders, such as cystitis, ovaritis or dismenorrea, due to the reduction of intestinal prolapse.
- Settling of the renal functions, due to the evacuation of the toxic overload.
- Detoxification and rejuvenation effect, due to the elimination of the toxic substances, which case organic poisoning and biological ageing.
A Colonhydrotherapy Session
- First you will fill in a medical history and nutritional questionnaire and discuss it with the therapist to ensure the procedure is correct for you. You will also sign a concent form.
- Before lying on the couch, you will be asked to empty your bladder to ensure your comfort during the treatment.
- Modesty is maintained with a clean gown and you will be asked to remove your clothes from the waist down. When lying on the couch, you will be covered with a towel.
- Treatment starts when you are lying on your left side on the treatment couch, with your bottom exposed briefly.
- A small sterile or disposable speculum will be inserted into your rectum for about 15 cm. On insertion this feels strange and slightly cold, due to the lubricant used. It is not painful and is quick. After a few minutes of lying on your side, you will be asked to turn onto your back with your knees raised. Towels continue to cover you. On the 'outside' part of the speculum, there is a small tube that allows warm filtered water to pass into you, using the gravity system, and a larger waste tube that carries the faeces and debris away in a closed system. There is therefore no smell or the unseemly panic associated with enemas and getting to the toilet in time.
- The terapist them asks permission to massage your tummy.
- The treatment isn't painful, but you will experience a strange sensation as the water flows into your colon and the release of 'a sense of pressure' when the faeces flow out. People are often concerned that the speculum will come out or that there will be a mess on the bed, but that doesn't happen, as the speculum is secured.
- In the waste tube, there is a clear section | vieweing tube which you and the therapist watches to be able to comment on the faeces, etc.
- Your treatment will usally take 1 hour and your therapist will continue to let you know what is going on and you will be able to chat or ask questions. Everything that is done will be with your informed consent.
- At the end of the treatment you will be asked to go and sit on the toilet for as long as it takes you to feel comfortable. Sometimes you will pass a little more or sometimes just water.
- You will then get dressed and return to the therapist who will chat about your colon and future treatments or health advice.
- It is advisable to relax or lie down for 30 minutes after the treatment. Most people then return to work or go about their normal routine.
What to expect to feel afterwards
- Relaxed, light, refreshed and clean.
- Increased energy levels.
- More mental acuity and alertness.
- Motivated to take proper care of your gut.
Limit in the following cases:
- Pregnancy (after 4 months)
- Haemorrhoids, fissures and rectal fistules in acute phase
- Acute inflammatory pathologies of the colon
- Intestinal ulcers, acute haemorrhaging colitis
- Suspicion of digestive perforation
- Recent colon surgery
- Acute arterial hypertention
- Abdominal hernia
- Colon neoplasia
- Cardiac type congestive syncope
- Kidney failure
- Necrosis (abdominal hydrotherapy)
- Acute anaemia
Some pathological conditions require particular care and the supervision of the therapist. (Diverticulitis, ulcerous colitis, Chron's disease, pregnancy - after 4 months).
- Tissue Cleaning Through Bowel Management.–Bernard Jensen, D.C., Ph.D., Nutritionist.